15 Kasım 2015 Pazar





'Artist as curator' is a term which is based on curating from an artists' perspective. As Liu Ding indicated in symposium called "Artist as Curator", "My artistic curation include both my artwork and the shows I've curated." First, I got this idea from my last and the first personal exhibition that I found myself as an exhibition organizer. In this sense, I started to look how I see things around me and started to catch the point of relation between my works and the space. I started to think about relation between each artworks to the relationship with the space that artworks already exist in. After this exhibition, the question that comes to my mind was 'why artists need a curator?' Are there any differences between artist curating the exhibition or curator organize the exhibition? According to Becky Shaw, there are multifunctional role of the curator who decide the artworks and also the artists that participated in exhibition and where the works should exist and create a dialog between artists and the institution for developing new projects. Artists acting as curators make sense for artists to provide a part of the process in an experimental way. Becky Shaws said that "Artists' function as curators in an attempt to gain visibility for practices they respect, including their own. It is an attempt to own the process of distribution rather than be subject to it." When artists organize exhibition as curators, it is possible to experience the process and 'the process' can become a part of the exhibition and the space used as a tool or a medium. Using a space as a medium and the narrative before the works arrived in exhibition space can change through the way of display. Space can change the meaning of an artwork.


locational identites, production of space, exhibition making, display as a practice, process, memories of an artist as curator


Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder